Monday, August 15, 2011

Camp

Year after year I attend our conference family camp. Usually I am serving in some capacity but this year I decided to take a break since we were getting married. It was nice to be able to enjoy the full duration of a meal, be fed by speakers, talk with new people, visit different programs, and sleep earlier and wake up later.

A funny story..Wednesday night I was hanging out in the adult program listening to mission highlights and testimonies. Don Williams, a missionary in Thailand, shared how he had become a missionary. His story captivated my attention. He talked about how he gave up the talents he was given to become a missionary only to have God have him use those talents on the mission field. At the very end he said we should come up for prayer if you knew you wanted to serve the Lord in your work but needed discernment about where that would be.

Now, contrary to what people may believe about me I'm not the type to go up for prayer. In fact, I know I haven't done that in the last 15 years. And I can't remember if I had ever done it prior. I have probably sat through hundreds of opportunities to "go up for prayer". But something moved me about this one. I have been struggling with what to do with my life now that I'm married and up north. I have been wondering how I can use my gifts for the Lord. I decided to go up. A bit self conscious, I scanned my options and landed on Kathy Williams, Don's wife. I walked up to her and waited for her to finish praying for someone else. When she finished she hugged the other lady, looked up at me with pure joy, pulled me in and grabbed my face with both her hands and said, "AIMEEEEEEE!" 

I was so shocked I didn't have time to stop and tell her I wasn't Aimee before she had moved my head against hers so she was praying directly into my ear. She went on and on asking the Lord to bless my upcoming marriage and for Him to work through my faithfulness through the youth.. The point of no return had already passed. Literally, she prayed for Aimee, thinking it was me, for a good 10 minutes. 

I was laughing so hard I was crying. I guess she thought my tears were a good thing. Go figure. =)

1 comment:

Donna said...

That is too funny! I guess as your dad does sometimes, you inadvertently served as Aimee's proxy. Well, I'm sure God still heard and will honor her prayers even though they were for your sister.